Wednesday, October 04, 2006

You're a what? Is that teeth or feet?


I now have bird flu - although it can't compete with Davie's bird flu. I have also changed the template for my blog, and I might change it a few more times before I settle on one.

In case you're wondering about the title of today's blog, that's the usual response I get when people ask me what I do for a living. There are only about 1000 Orthoptists in the country (compare that to 45000 physiotherapists) and seeing as I spend five sevenths of my life being one, it's quite important to me to know what I'm supposed to be doing, but I do appreciate that it's not really that important to anyone else - that is until they wake up one morning with double vision.

Anyhoo, should you be struck by an overwhelming desire to know what the NHS kindly pay me for doing, here is an extract from my professional body website:


What do orthoptists do?
Orthoptists are concerned with the diagnosis and treatment
of ocular motility and problems relating to vision. Some examples of these
problems are:
Amblyopia (lazy eye),
which is a reduction in vision arising from a defect present in infancy or early childhood that prevents the eye from receiving adequate visual stimulation.
Defective binocular vision, which is the inability to use the two eyes together
in the correct way and which leads to impairment of depth perception.
Abnormal eye movements arising from injury or disease affecting the eye muscles or the nerve supplying the muscles, or a physical obstruction to eye movement.
Diplopia (double vision) resulting from abnormal eye movements or strabismus (squint).

So now you know. If you want to know more you can go to http://www.orthoptics.org.uk/patients/orthoptics.

There endeth today's lesson!

5 comments:

D Baynham said...

Really, wow, I thought you were a bird spotter?

Robbie, Rudolf & Rusty said...

Yep, I know have double vision from reading the extract, oooooops.

Hope the bird flu is leaving you. Seems like Dave is looking after you well with lovely Fajhitas (can't spell that!)

I hope the second presentation went well.

Amy and Amiability said...

Good grief, are all orthoptists so fascinating? I do mean "as fascinating as the person who wrote the website", not you of course. We all know exactly how fascinating you are!

Teapot said...

Did you ever hear the song I used to sing at school when I was young?

"Oh, there was a little drummer and he loved a cockeyed cook,
And he loved her and he loved her
Though she had a cockeyed look!

With her one eye on the pot and the other up the chimney,
With a Bow wow wow!"!
Fal lal the bow a diddy
Bow wow wow!!"

Did she have a recognisable ocular related condition!!

ScubaSis said...

I can honestly say I have never heard that song.... but I am so pleased to have found a song with such ocularly abnormal lyrics. Thanks for that!!